RESOURCES TO GET YOU STARTED in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- A brief introduction to SoTL. In this short slideshow I provide a one-stop overview of the SoTL enterprise, with key steps, and information to get your started. For more details on any of the parts of the process, check out a great tutorial on Doing SoTL (Vanderbilt University), or this site (David Voelker).
- How to Conduct Quality Matters Research. A toolkit designed to assess online courses but has many useful ideas and a step by step approach to SoTL.
- An Annotated Bibliography of SoTL. A growing list of key articles/readings separated by major topics in teaching and learning.
- Applying method to (seeming) madness: Doing SoTL in your class. (Gurung, 2009). See Chapter 5 in this collection.
- Wondering what the difference is between SoTL and Assessment? Try this:
- Gurung, R. A. R., & Landrum, R. E. (2012). Assessment and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. In D. Dunn, S. C. Baker, C. M. Mehrotra, R. E. Landrum, & M. McCarthy (Eds.) Assessing Teaching and Learning in Psychology: Current and Future Perspectives.
Consider attending a SoTL Writing Workshop or get a mentor. Devote time to get some SoTL done.
Tools & Guides
- A quick overview of the research on teaching and learning:
- Buskist, W., & Benassi, V. A. (Eds.). (2012). Effective college and university teaching: Strategies and tactics for the new professoriate. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Gurung, R. A. R., & Schwartz, E. (2009/2013). Optimizing teaching and learning: Pedagogical research in practice. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Schwartz, E., & Gurung, R. A. R., (2012). Evidence-based teaching in higher education. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- A historian, David Voelker, and a psychologist, Regan A. R. Gurung talk about key issues in SoTL in this podcast.
- Evidence-based college and university teaching (Richmond, Boysen, & Gurung, 2016).
- Step-by-Step directions on doing SoTL:
- Bishop-Clark, C., & Dietz-Uhler, B. (2012). Engaging in the scholarship of teaching and learning: A guide to the process, and how to develop a project from start to finish. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Gurung, R. A. R., & Wilson, J. H. (Eds.). (2013). Doing the scholarship of teaching and learning: Measuring systematic changes to teaching and improvements in learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- McKinney, K. (2007). Enhancing learning through the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Bolton, MA: Anker.
- A Compendium of Scales for SoTL (Jhangiani, Troisi, Fleck, Legg, & Hussey, 2015). A well curated set of questionnaires for SoTL and chapters on best practices on the use of the same. Organized by topic, this compendium contains scale descriptions, validation information (if available), and marked references so scholars can examine past research that used each scale.
- Using SoTL to Advance your Academic Position (Smith & Schwartz, 2015). This edited volume provides perspectives on how using SoTL can be helpful for faculty who use SoTL in their teaching. Authors focused on providing faculty members with the rationale for using SoTL in their teaching and with concrete steps they can take (and pointers they can use) in applying SoTL to the classroom, job search, and tenure/promotion process.
- Handbook of Mixed-Methods Research.
- Got permission to do SoTL? Have questions about IRB use? Here is a great resource to help.